Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Refrigerator Dill Pickles


I visited the neighborhood farmer's market yesterday. Seeing all of the produce that the farmers brought to town makes me want to can some of the freshness for the long winter. It brings back memories of Mama canning in our little country kitchen. I remember late summer afternoons with the breezes blowing through the open windows as she sealed jars of green beans and crushed tomatoes. I wasn't allowed in the kitchen until she put away the pressure cooker. Mama always said that it was dangerous. After the big, ominous pot was placed back in the pantry, I would sit at the red and white dinette and patiently wait for the lids to "pop." Later that evening when Daddy came home from work, he would carefully take the quart jars down to the basement where there was a dark "room" just for Mama's goods.

I wonder if many others in my generation followed the kitchen ways of 50's Moms to can every late Summer. Unfortunately, I didn't. But, it's never too late to learn. I decided this year to try my hand at saving some of the season's cucumbers. I checked online and found this very simple Refrigerated Dill Pickle recipe. Everyone in my family LOVES dill pickles! By the way, the jars in the pic are from Flicker. I hope that mine taste as good as those look!

Refrigerated Dill Pickles

7 c. cucumbers, thin sliced
2 c. sugar
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. water
8 tsp. salt
2-3 dill heads

1. Heat sugar, vinegar, water and salt.
2. Pour hot mixture over cucumber slices.
3. Add dill.
4. Store in refrigerator. Keeps for months.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh now I LOVE dill pickles. I'm going to try these. Thank you!! What great memories. I was always so afraid of that scary pressure cooker everytime my mom used it. Lol! I always thought it would blow up.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

It's never too late to start those wonderful old traditions of our mothers! My mother canned everything from the garden and I did too but it's been a while since I listened for the lids to pop! Those pickles look mighty delicious though I must say! Thanks for sharing the inspiration and the recipe!