Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Egg-stra Gardening


According to the weatherman, the rain has set in for 4 straight days. So, our delightful sunny skies have left for awhile. But, we need those showers for our upcoming planting. I usually buy vegetable and flower plants. This year I decided to start my garden from seeds. So, I've been gathering information from here and there for the right way to do it. I was particularly interested to learn that clean egg shells are great starter pots!!! Here are the complete how-to's!

1. Purchase small peat pots or peat pellets. Eggshells make great pots, too. Just be sure to poke several holes in the bottom of the shells. The peat pots and pellets drain without any extra help.

2. Purchase QUALITY potting soil!!! This is most important. Don't scrimp on potting soil. Cheap soil wastes money, seed, and time.

3. Soak the seeds in water overnight. This will speed up the germination process.

4. Push each one into its container filled with potting soil mix.

5. Place the pots onto a plate filled with small gravel.

6. Lightly cover with plastic wrap. DO NOT seal tightly.

7. Keep moist and out of direct sunlight. You should see signs of growth in about 5 days.

8. Remove plastic and place in a sunny spot.

9. When danger of frost is over, plant in your garden or containers.


Watching the tiny seed grow into a vegetable for nourishment or a flower for beauty sparks optimism during these precarious economic times, and it just might encourage a friend or family member to pursue their own green thumb! (Photo from Southern Living)

2 comments:

KeKe said...

We are getting ready to settle in for the rain-spell. I think I'll make the soap. Thanks for sharing this. My fennel is blooming~ :)
Let me know how it goes with your garden.

Michelle said...

Ohmigosh, I've never seen anything like this. How adorable!