Thursday, April 19, 2012

Writing ! It's Good for You!

Source:  Better Homes and Gardens
Yes, studies have shown that taking 15 minutes a day to write  helps to ease stress and boosts the immune system.  That makes sense even without a study.  As a young girl,  I kept a diary for a short while.  Every now and then, I look at the handwriting from decades ago and smile at the "heart-dotted i's" and flourished word endings. Yes, laughter and tears are good for the soul and the body while you're writing and when you're reading the lines later!  Goodbye, toxins!

Everyone has a story to tell.  What seems trivial at this moment will be a personal "best seller" in the years to come.  It doesn't have to be a fancy journal.  Purchase a dollar store calendar and jot down a favorite quote, a favorite meal, or a flower's bloom.  There's no better day than TODAY to begin the story of your journey!

How many of you are journaling enthusiasts?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to write in notebooks, they were a combo of list making, ideas, and journaling.
But in recent years I have given it up...
Your post inspires me to get bake into it. I really did find it cathartic to write every thing down, plus it helped me define and make decisions.
Thanks for the great idea!

Michelle Lisle said...

Hi Marilyn

I tried keeping journals in my teens but could never stick with it...and in a house full of sisters it wasn't always safe to write your inner most thoughts down....however I have always loved to write whether it be poems,short stories etc and now I have my blog I find that satisfies all my creative writing needs and I love it!!

Hope your enjoying your spring weather....winter is trying to come early here....xo

Padhopper® said...

Merry Meet. I clicked my way right to your blog. Yes yes yes, I am a journal enthusiast. I've been writing all of my life, poetry, short stories, song lyrics, journals, and now blogs. Writing has always been my little way of escaping the world around me.

RachelD said...

A long shelf of journals is close to hand from my little blue chair in the corner, and sometimes I have to get both my glasses AND the magnifying glass out to read the downhill/uphill climbs of lines and sentences. I'm sure the fact that I hear something on TV worth quoting, or someone says something especially memorable to me, and I scribble it down in the half-dark.

And I write every day. Something. I think I could write down stuff in my sleep, and I certainly may have. I'm just in awe of how the writers we love so much and admire today---Austen and Trollope and so many others of the quill or pencil eras, ever DID get their thoughts down.

My train of thought would have disappeared around the bend by about the third dip.

rachel