Monday, June 6, 2011

Hen and Chicks Basket


Looking at hanging baskets online, I found this one containing the adorable cottage plant called " hen and chicks,"  which was one of my mother's favorites.  She always had a pot of this succulent nearby, and she took such glee in pointing out the  "hen" with her brood when asked about it.  This is the first time that I have ever seen it used in a hanging planter.  I found it at Better Homes and Gardens which has lots of ideas for hanging gardens.  I am sometimes overwhelmed when looking in the garden shop for new ideas that blend to add to the pots.  BHG has several pictures of hanging plants, labeled with plant names for each.  No guesswork needed.  Some growing tips are included, too.  The hen and chicks requires little to no watering.  That makes my heart sing!  What hanging plants are dressing up your outdoor spaces this week?  (Photo from Better Homes and Gardens)

No comments: