Monday, February 2, 2009

Daily bLESSing


When I was a young child, I never ate the frosting on a cake. It was too sweet!!! I enjoyed Mom's lovely vanilla cake for its one flavor. So it is with a balanced life. The more frosting we add, the less we enjoy the journey itself.
(Photo from Southern Living)


Vanilla Cake

1 cup self rising flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup softened butter (no low fat)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Watkins Pure Vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift flour.
3. Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Whisk eggs before adding to butter/sugar mixture.
5. Slowly add flour.
6. Add milk and vanilla.
7. Beat by hand until smooth.
8. Pour batter into prepared 8 inch cake pan.
9. Bake about 20 minutes.

Cake is traditionally served unfrosted. For special occasions, cut horizontally and fill with jam or custard. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This cake looks moist! I'll be adding this to my recipe book. :)

Laume said...

I'm also a person who leaves the frosting. Well, unless it's frosted with whipped cream. Because, duh. But it always balanced out because my mom liked the frosting and left the cake.