Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Simple is Best


It's been quite a few days since posting. Summer has been so busy....but, now the days are starting to fade around 7:30...no longer the long 8:30 sundown evenings ...Drought has continued.... but the really hot temps didn't sneak in until last weekend...heat indexes of 105...same for today...maybe, a cool down tomorrow of the low 90's....We did get some rain last night with lots of thunder and lightning! I did something yesterday that I have wanted to do for quite awhile...Yet, the nail tech always talked me out of it...wonder why??? LOLOLOL!! I am very proud of myself today as I look at my "acrylic free"...all natural nails ...tapping the keys. I became a nail diva in 1999 for my daughter's wedding. I have continued to maintain those acrylics for NINE years...Well, no more!!! I took those nails off yesterday and, I don't plan on replacing them...Totally natural..well manicured, NATURAL nails...and, I love it...I am no longer the slave to "fill ins!" Just wonderful, relaxing manicures...at home or the salon...MY choice...My nails don't rule anymore!!! For any of you who have taken acrylics "off"...well, the sight isn't pretty the first couple of weeks...but, they are still beautiful to me this morning...one less thing to schedule...In the words of Thoreau, "Simplify, simplify, simplify!" Same with art... simple art is always the best. It has room to "breathe"....and, it speaks very quietly to our senses. It's more open to interpretation. In a world filled with "stuff"...most of it very plastic...a return to the "real", even with its flaws, has a beauty of its own.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Boy can I relate to your Nail woes. I to have been a fan of acrylics, off and on (mostly on) for about 15 years. Just think of the money you will save. I took mine off after Hurricane Katrina, grwes them out completely it tooks months!!! Then on a weak moment, I got them again. So now I am completely grown out again, and I hope I never do it again. I was a fan of the solar nails and loved the french manicure look. I still miss it sometimes, but I feel so much better with my own! Your nails will be weak and they will split, but just take one week at a time, and hopefully one day your will have your own strong nails back again. I am SUCH a girl, I swear...it really is an addiction. lol.
I enjoyed your post so much...
~xx~
Kathy

Heather Robinson said...

Hello my friend. There is an award awaiting you on my blog...a well-deserved one! Hugs, Heather

Sherry said...

Simple is always best and so refreshing. As much as acrylic nails look nice and are always "perfect" as such, there is such freedom as you've noted in going with what God gave you -- and not being a slave to your nails any longer!! Here's to freedom!!! ♥