Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Be A Child Again!


It's the Saturday before Easter Sunday! I'm sure that hundreds of dozens of eggs are being dyed, jeweled, and hidden! Then comes the big hunt. My granddaughter, Anna Marie, will be over for lunch .....then, it's off to an Easter egg hunt!...This is my first hunt in many, many years. It brings back such memories of my daughter's Easter hunts, and those memories extend back quite a few years more to my own Easter in a sleepy town in north Alabama. We lived in the country with mounds of purple thrift decorating our yard. Buttercups and hyacinths which could have been straight from the pages of Southern Living were coming alive in every corner of our yard. They were Mom's pride and joy. Late on Saturday afternoon, my brother (who was 12 years older) would take me into the yard to find clover for my Easter "plate"...no store bought "straw" or basket back then...The plate was usually one of Mom's chintz dinner plates....The fresh clover and one or two of the buttercups were the perfect setting for my dyed eggs....courtesy of PAAS dyes! My brother would always tease me and tell me that I had better get up early to get my chocolate Easter bunny...OR, he would eat my bunny, too!!! Then, he would laugh and my mom and dad would say, "Don't scare her that way." Oh, it was good to be the princess!!! On Easter Sunday, we would get all dressed up for church services. Mom would insist that I wear the slip with the "itchy" lace under my new dress...which was always a nice pastel...Early on I was in a "pinafore." Mom wore her gloves and hat, of course....Memories of my 50's and 60's childhood...Well, today, is quite different....Mom, Dad, and my brother are celebrating Easter in heaven together this year. I love and miss you so much! Now, I just put the "grass" in Anna's new basket which is decorated with lace and flowers...So, in just a few hours we will be off to the community Easter egg hunt. What are your early Easter memories???? Please share in your comments. Blessings on Easter Saturday!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Happy times Marilyn! I have fond memories of getting an Easter bonnet every year -- one of those hats with an elastic that "snapped" under my chin. And an Easter "purse"...I was never keen on the egg hunts or the candy -- it was nice but it was the hat and bag that always thrilled me! Oh and I'd get a skipping rope too! A sure sign of spring!!!

Happy Easter Marilyn!